This is a compilation of recipes from the gals in the Brigham City Ward and Sunset Ward, Winslow Arizona Stake. Here you'll find good friends, good feelings, and most of all GOOD FOOD! Enjoy our recipes, and share them with everyone you know and love.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Buttermilk Biscuits with Fresh Chives

Funny thing: I had to order the biscuit cutters when I had my Pampered Chef party. How often do I make biscuits??? Never. I don't know what got into me but I had to have them. Now that I ordered them I'm so glad I did, they are so versatile, and I made biscuits! This recipe was included with the cutters, so I tried it. YUM!


4 tbsp cold butter, divided
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup snipped fresh chives
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp vegetable shortening
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450°F. Place 2 tbsp of the butter in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 30-45 seconds or until melted; set aside. Combine flour, chives, baking powder, salt and baking soda in large mixing bowl; mix well. Cut remaining butter and shortening into flour mixture using Pastry Blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center of mixture; pour in buttermilk. Mix just until dough comes together. (Dough will be very sticky).

Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface; sprinkle with flour and gently fold dough over onto itself 5-6 times. Pat into a 1/2-inch-thick round. Cut out biscuits with floured (2 1/2-in.) Biscuit Cutter, pushing straight down through dough. Arrange biscuits on Cookie Sheet, spacing 3/4 in. apart. Gather scraps of dough into a 1/2-inch-thick round, handling as little as possible; cut out and arrange remaining biscuits. Brush tops with melted butter. Bake 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown.

Yield: 12 - 18 biscuits

No comments: